We thought our customers would enjoy getting to know Wayne Bellet, owner of Bellet Construction, so we sat down with him and asked him a few questions.
- How long have you worked for Bellet Construction?
I have been working for Bellet Construction for almost forty years. My Grandfather and Dad owned the company before me, and I worked during my high school summers and after college. That early work has really helped me run the company over the years, because I have hands on experience performing many of the tasks, I ask our workers to do.
- What do you do for Bellet?
As the Owner of the company, I oversee everything we do from marketing and sales, to reviewing estimates, bids, and proposals, and interviewing potential employees. I have a great team working for us, but ultimately, I’m responsible for every decision that’s made and I take a personal interest in every project because of it.
- What is your favorite part of your job?
The beginning of the project when we first meet the customer for the first time. I enjoy the process of going from strangers to colleagues.
- What is the strangest/most interesting thing to happen to you on the job?
When I was working as a contractor for my father, unbeknownst to the work crew and I, the building we were working on was on fire. As we were leaving for the workday, casually walking down the stairwell, a team of Firemen in full gear, were racing up to the top floor we were just working on.
- If you were a construction tool, what would you be and why?
A masonry level. It never lies.
- What are you most proud of in your life?
Watching my children develop into adults.
- What is a fun fact about you?
I am passionate about playing poker and look forward to going to the World Series of Poker someday.
- If you could give building owners/residents one piece of preventative construction advice, what would it be?
Apply for the New York City Department of Buildings and New York City Department of Transportation permit applications well in advance of starting your project.